Tuesday 15 May 2012

My first riding experience..!!!

Stuttering made me avoid so many things in my teenage life,things that even remotely involved talking. One of those things were learning to ride a motorcycle. I know that you don't have to talk to a motorcycle in order to ride it, but i had negative thoughts crawl into my mind every time i thought of riding, like "its not like i'm going anywhere,even if i know how to ride" or "i dont have any friends, who will i go to on  a bike?".  (it would look weird to my neighbours and family if they saw me talking to a bike, they would think that i like to talk to machines rather than people or that i'm crazy).
But recently , i decided to get over this fear or false beliefs of mine, i decided i will learn to ride finally, i will face these thoughts and check out their viability.

So, it was early morning yesterday, that i took the keys of my brother's bike, and went outside. i had never rode a bike before, i did have a minor accident on a scooter once, and that too made me averse to bikes. My experience of driving a car helped me greatly to get used to the bikes gearing mechanism fairly quickly. I was really anxious at first but as i rode on, i got more and more comfortable. I rode for about half an hour.

I wondered in my mind that if i thought earlier that i would be too weak to do this, that i would fail, and i proved myself wrong, i could as well change or prove wrong my beliefs about people's reaction to my stutter.

When i came home, my dad asked me "did you ride?"..i said yes,, i thought he would be angry,,but he was'nt.
More or less , i was so happy that i faced this fear or passivity of mine, and that i am facing my "stuttering mindset", by writing in this blog. The credit for this change in me goes to TISA.....thanks again..!!!
But as i said before , there is a long way to go.....

No comments:

Post a Comment